tatev monasteryAdd to Favourites
The Tattoo Monastery or the Cathedral of Tattoo is a monastery linked to the Armenian Apostolic Church, belonging to the nineteenth century, located 250 km southeast of Yerevan, near the Tatoo village in the province of Syunik, on the right bank of the river Vrvtn. A tattoo or tattoo complex consists of three churches called the Church of St. Bohus the Holy Sepulcher, the Church of Mary and the Holy Grail Church. It was registered in 1995 as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, he hosted one of the most important medieval universities in Armenia, "Tattoo University". The Tatoo University was dedicated to the promotion of science, religion, philosophy and reproduction of books, and the advancement of Armenian painting.
The monastery was used since BC and there was a temple of chastity. During the fourth century and the spread of Christianity in the land of Armenia, that temple became a simple church. The development of the monastery began in the 9th century, when the tattoo became the seat of the Syonite. The historian Stepanos Arbelian states that in the year 898, with the help of the Prince Philip Sionics, a new church was built near the old church. With the increasing economic and political importance of the center, the old building did not provide any other needs, so the bishop of "Hvans (John)" was able to build a new convent with the financial support of the "Prince Ashot" of the Syonik family. At the beginning of the 11th century, the monastery hosted 1,000 monks and artisans.
In 1044, the "Church of the Holy Mary" and its surrounding buildings were destroyed during the invasion of the country's military forces, but shortly afterwards it was restored. In 1807, the Church of Mary was built in the northern part of the monastery. In the 12th century, after the attack of the Seljuqs and the earthquake, the monastery suffered extensive and considerable damage. In 1170, Seljuk Turks caused more damage and burned 10,000 manuscripts during the attack. The Tattoo Monastery was reconstructed in the late 13th century by the bishop of Stefanos. During the attacks of Timur Lane on the Syonics, the Tattoo Monastery was plundered and a significant portion of the monastery's property was plundered. During the rule of Shahrokh, the son of Teimur Lang, the Tattoo Monastery was once again a part of the Timurid. Tattoo Monastery During the 17th and 18th centuries, old buildings were renovated and new buildings added to the collection. But in the 18th century it was again attacked by Qajar Aqam Mohammad Khan.
The church building is rectangular and extends from west to east. The church building consists of a central dome, two columns in its eastern part, altar and altar. The interior and exterior walls of the church are covered with cut stone. The walls and dome of the church have narrow windows that make the nave room bright.
Armenia - Sionik Province - Giorgi - Tattoo